Sunday, August 4, 2013

August 2, 2013

Today became a longer ordeal than was originally planned, as many dates within the last nine months have become. Since our appointment today was to be a simple checkup, Bryan decided to stay at work and I invited my mom to accompany me, so she could meet my doctor and become familiar with the clinic. Fortunately/Unfortunately, she got more of a tour than we both anticipated! Little Dylan thought he was being pretty smart today, and his heart rate dropped down to the low 100s, with a baseline being around 105-110. The nurse tried three different machines with no change. In addition to this, my blood pressure was slightly elevated (probably from the panic caused by the nursing staff and doctor)and swelling had increased. They took my blood and other samples, then sent me down the hall for an ultrasound right away. Luckily, the ultrasound showed an otherwise healthy baby, and he passed his tests for breathing, movement, reflexes, etc, with a score of 8/8.

Nevertheless, the doctor wanted to err on the side of caution, so after our appointment, she sent us back over to Labor and Delivery for two hours of fetal monitoring. This is when Dylan decided to wake up and perform stunts that we could watch on the outside and hear on the inside. I even found out I was having contractions, though I could not feel them. By the end of our two hour visit, his heart rate had spiked up as high as 150. He was the best baby of the day, as one nurse said. So, we got to go home with some pictures of him and the knowledge that everything is still going well. We also confirmed via ultrasound that he has a full head of hair, as we could see it floating in the pictures. J The slower heart rate, which was also beginning at the last visit, may be due to the beta blockers I am taking, or, it may just be the way it is. My heart rate has always been slow as well. However, I just worry that he will have cardiac issues like me, though right now everything is checking out okay.

We also talked again about delivery options, and now it is a toss up between trying to push through naturally (with the help of forceps) or by c-section. We even scheduled a c-section, as now it is looking more likely than 50/50. Either way, an induction or c-section will happen on August 19, which is just 17 days away. Eeeeek! We have two more appointments set up for the next two Fridays, and at least one more ultrasound. We are getting so close!

No comments:

Post a Comment