Sunday, August 11, 2013

August 9th, 2013


We had two more doctor appointments this week! One with my original cardiologist, Dr. Jones, and one to check up on baby. With Dr. Jones, we mostly just conversed briefly about my heart, and then we socialized. As always, he told us how surprised he was that he hasn’t seen us in the ER more often during this pregnancy, and we also talked about my dad passing away. He told me I can quit taking my beta blocker, if I am concerned that this is why the baby’s heartbeat is slowing down. He also mentioned the water pill is not too harmful for baby, which is good to hear. We talked about the future post-baby and all the testing that will ensue, and we talked again about whether or not more children will be in our future (he doesn’t seem to think it’s a good idea). We let him know the date of c-section/induction, and he put it on his calendar to be there.
Our visit to Dr. Williams started out with another ultrasound, where we found out he is in the 8 lb range, but measuring 3 weeks ahead (that would be nearly 41 weeks!). All the measurements for fluid, heartrate, blood pressure, etc. were great today! I had gained some weight because I am more puffy, and so we are watching closely for preeclampsia. When the doctor did my physical exam, we found out I am 3 cm dilated and 50% effaced, so that means he could even come early on his own! Her first order of business post ultrasound was to meet with a couple other doctors, where it was decided that we would forego an induction and plan a c-section for sure. This means they had to change my care plan, so that if I go into labor before the scheduled date, we will be all set up. Truthfully, I felt relieved by this news. I know a c-section is not in my best interest, because it could cause tachycardia and result in a cardioversion due to the massive changes in fluid levels post-delivery, but I know this will actually be better for the baby (I had fears of him getting stuck and/or injured by the forceps if I try to push). We went over the c-section procedure, as well as circumcision, and despite the change in plans, Dr. Williams seems to be optimistic about delivering the baby and potentially having another pregnancy down the road, though we will have to see how it all goes in the end. I am ready for this pregnancy to be over. This was a rough week, and I am feeling more run-down and disabled. Monday I was completely down, with blood pressure and circulation issues (now my hands and arms are starting to swell and get tingly) and Dr. Williams wondered if maybe I may have been going into arrhythmia. This makes me nervous, and even more anxious to get this baby safely out! Only one more week!

No comments:

Post a Comment